Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Featiure Artist - Jill Davis

Starting today, I'm going to feature the work of an artist or artisan every couple of weeks. The premier artist is Jill Davis of J. Davis Studios. I came across her work while looking for birdhouse images on etsy. She creates the most inviting little dwelling in silver. Please stop by her Etsy Shop


Neighborhood Ring on Etsy


Please give a little background about yourself?

I'm originally from Ohio, but have moved around a bit and currently live in Brooklyn. I learned to make jewelry in college when I got my BFA in Metalsmithing from Syracuse University. I then went on to working in a jewelry repair shop for a couple of years. While I learned a lot, I found it quite boring and wanted to focus on my own designs and creative process. So I moved to New York and received my Associate's in Jewelry Design at the Fashion Institute of Technology. I currently work part time for two different jewelers in the city while working on my own designs and business.

How did you start designing/creating jewelry, how long have you been doing so?

I've been making jewelry ever since I can remember, out of cardboard, photographs, yarn, buttons, clay, glitter, wire, beads etc. Mostly plastic and very tacky. But I've seriously been making jewelry, slightly more sophisticated, out of metal and different materials for about 7 years. I knew that I wanted a degree in art when I graduated from high school because I was the happiest when I was making things. So when it came time to decide I began looking through college catalogs and I noticed there was a degree in Jewelry and Metalsmithing. It was something I had never even thought of before as a career. I became obsessed with the idea of making jewelry professionally and I haven't looked back.

Tiny House Ring on Etsy

Have you created other artwork prior to jewelry, or do you now?

I've always been making things. I used to want to be an illustrator or a graphic designer because I loved to draw. But once I discovered sculpture and jewelry I decided three dimensional was the way to go for me.

How did you discover Etsy?

I discovered Etsy when I noticed a friend of mine from college was promoting her shop on myspace.com. I clicked the link and now, I'm addicted. There are lots of amazing people and so much more going on then I imagined. I'm quite happy to be a part of it and I've "met" lots of very nice, inspiring people.

What inspires you?

I'm constantly inspired, especially living in such a diverse, animated city as New York. I'm mostly inspired these days by structure and interior/exterior spaces, which can be seen in my House jewelry.

Describe yourself in 3 words or less.

Artist, Designer, Maker


House and Tree Necklace on Etsy


Please describe your work.

My jewelry is always very structured and geometric, inspired by space and architecture. I take these basic structures and infuse them with personality and at times, a certain amount of nostalgia.

No comments: