Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Sketch 365

I was invited to join a group called 365 Sketch. Seems like a great motivation for me. I always feel guilty for requiring my students to sketch weekly, but not sketching much myself this year. I have noticed that if I am sketching, I am more productive. The rhythm of a daily requirement will also be good for me. I need a reminder to be disciplined about things like sketching. The daily grind of work and family easily wears me out to the point that I don't want to sketch in the evenings. I am going to try to have a morning routine. Upload my sketch and any new prints to Flickr, update my blog, and add a print to Etsy. I find it very easy to write this down, but I'm sure that I will have trouble accomplishing it every morning. These are the sketches I uploaded this morning to get started. I drew them Sunday during the sermon. Sometimes I just get the itch, and have to get my ideas down immediately. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but I fear that I will lose the ideas if I don't act right away. I surely don't want to waste an opportunity to milk out a little more creativity.

Day 1 sketch, originally uploaded by Bound Staff Press.

Today will probably not be too productive other than my posting a sketch and a new print on Etsy. My youngest didn't sleep last night, so neither did I. Time for a Mt. Dew and a little planning for the day.

3 comments:

tootsiegrace said...

Good for you! I know I generally need a kick in the pants to get creative and sketch daily. Your work is just fabulous (I am determined to snag one of your ATCs as soon as I can), and I have been enjoying your blog as well!

Marisa

Jean Levert Hood said...

That is quite a commitment! Your work is really nice, those prints in your last post are just great.

Amie Roman said...

Good luck Justin! I know I don't have that level of commitment, nor have I ever developed the habit and discipline to being much of a sketcher of ideas. I keep saying "must must" but never "do do"!