Monday, February 25, 2008

Letterpress


Punctuation, originally uploaded by Bound Staff Press.

Last week I registered Bound Staff Press as a private press on Briar Press. A private press is described as one that is used for personal and artistic publishing, but not comercial work. I thought it would just be a matter of filling out some forms online. As it turns out, to be a registered press, one must turn in what is called a propriator's card, or prop card. This is like a rolodex card with all my information. I have set some type, and even printed a few projects on my proof press, but I hadn't even sorted a great deal of my type. Printing three similar identification cards provided me with the incentive I needed to create a new letterpress block of my logo for Bound Staff Press. Then I had to figure out how to use registration pins etc. on my Craftsmen letterpress. I have so much to learn.


I have a dream of working with my wife to create some poetry (her part) with illustrative artwork and print it on this press. I think we are a long way away from that event. Maybe when our children are a little less demanding of her time. I will dream until... whenever.

2 comments:

Amie Roman said...

Great card Justin - and I would love to collaborate as illustrator to a poet/writer one day, so I understand your dream, and am envious you have a source of writing so close to home!

mo said...

hello!
I just purchased a Craftsmen Imperial (so the chase is 5x8) I'm looking forward to reading your blog since we have similar presses!