Friday, July 25, 2008

Sandblast - Not a blast

Yesterday I spent 5 hours trying and trying and trying again to sandblast the 4 and 5 layers of paint off of my letterpress. As it turns out, I wasted most of the afternoon. I don't know if I didn't have enough air pressure, or if the unit was faulty, or something else. I got my first piece mostly cleaned of paint. After that I could get was at best spotty removal, and at worst a light massage of air without sand. Today, I changed to paint stripper. It worked great. I have 4 or 5 pieces left to strip, then a quick wipe-down with mineral spirits for everything. Soon it will have a new coat of gloss black on all the non-machined surfaces, and a coat of wax on all the machine work. Should be a like a brand new press.

No comments: