Wednesday, November 12, 2008

LJHS High School Musical Set

Tonight is opening night. I am so relieved.
As you know, I have had the opportunity to teach stagecraft this year. It is not what I had hoped for, but I the situation didn't offer any other possibilities. My students are good kids, who want to make a nice set. A few are have experience with power tools, and more than half are competent painters. I've spent countless nights agonizing over construction problems. Usually to no avail. My class now has a little down time, then on Monday we strike the set, and paint everything back to black.
I have been hoping that finishing the set would open up some time to make art, and help get me out of my current funk. I still feel overwhelmed by the daily stack of paperwork, and time wasting meetings related to being a 21st century teacher.
Today I started drawing out a new print. Soon I'll post a picture. I also have plans for a business card design on the letterpress. Getting started is always the hardest part.

2 comments:

Queen Bee Amy said...

The set looks fantastic! The lockers, the basketball net, the stairs, the basketball court... You really went above and beyond with those kids. Great job!

I'm trying to defunk, as well. Too many partial ideas littering my mind and too many papers on my desk.

Looking forward to seeing your sketches.

Kaka12 said...

Soon I will be starting a high school musical play.... wondering what material you used to create and design a such magnificent set for this play?