Thursday, January 14, 2010

Tech is the New Black

I enjoy a gadget as much as the next person. I have a blog (obviously) and I participate in online forums, and communities and even teach an online course. However, I have been very reluctant to join twitter. What could be the use in knowing when twenty or thirty people ate supper, or other unimportant factoids? What was unknown to me was the vast and active professional community of twitter. Earlier in the year one of the science teachers had suggested twitter, and a service called social bookmarking. I blew off the suggestions. When he again presented this information in a professional development session, he showed us some of the excellent links he had gleaned from groups like #edchat and #edtech. He also reiterated the effectiveness of Delicious a bookmarking service.

That afternoon following the session, I looked up AP studio art portfolios within a few minutes, I found a site with the elusive information I have been searching for on Google for close to 2 years. Others were obviously looking for the same data, and bookmarked it.

The next day, I read furiously the conversation during Tuesday morning's #edchat. Twitter was clearly about more than personal trivia updates. Real people were sharing great information. I was hooked.

Now if I can just make a little art my life will be well rounded.

2 comments:

jolly said...

its nice.................
Aman Toor
Linux

Brandi Martin said...

I really like the connections I've made on twitter, especially to other art/techish teachers.

but I also follow some oddballs, that i don't know, because they are funny, good writers, etc.

Today I asked my AP class if they knew what twitter was, and they were like "facebook updates". Hmmm. I think kids don't find it as interesting because they aren't 'professionals' yet. I think you have to have a passion for something, like your career, and be info-hungry to be into twitter. Many kids just aren't there yet.