Tuesday, March 23, 2010

C&P Craftsman 10 x 15 arrived today

In August, I made arrangements to purchase a Chandler and Price Craftsman letterpress. The day I looked at the press, it was 104˚ outside, and when I went to make skids for the press a few weeks later the temperature was -12˚. I smashed a finger when we were placing it on the skids, and it finally grew all the way back. Life has piled up, and my best intentions of having the press delivered always managed to be stymied. I was determined to make arrangements for delivery next week when I received a phone call from the seller. Would I be willing to take it this week? Today? Tomorrow? After some bargaining with the head of maintenance, I had a fork lift driver for today. I almost couldn't sleep I was so excited.

Today I watched as it was unloaded and placed in the back of my studio. Really made my day. The principal even came down to see the new beast. I have several projects going, but I'm sure I will find time to tinker and clean. The plan is to remove the remains of the automatic feeder, and replace it with a delivery board. I may also add a treadle, but this will have to wait a little.


The previous owner mentioned that he also has a Chandler and Price guillotine paper cutter for sale. It has an extra blade and is in pristine condition. He is asking $350. I don't think that my little space will accommodate such a massive cutter when I already have a small Paragon guillotine.

4 comments:

Mark Hill said...

That is a beautiful piece of machinery. Bravo!

LeAnne said...

Cool! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

t a n y a said...

what a gorgeous beast!

Marsinah (mar-see-na) said...

cool! I painted my 8x12 in similar colors, after massive scrubbing and restoring :) This one is HUGE!