Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Amish letterpress

In the never ending saga of my C&P Craftsman letterpress, I have finished most of the work that I can on the press. To recap briefly, I bought the press last year from a nearby newspaper office that was being scrapped. I have since, removed the automated feeder mechanism, repaired a broken casting, and cleaned and painted the press.

Since the last update here, I have constructed a delivery table from maple. When the automated feeder was removed, I was left with no place to stack printed work. I also wanted to be able to have a little shelf for storage. I combined these to ideas and am very pleased with the result. I have yet to seal the wood with polyurethane, but that is coming in the immediate future.

Treadle project for C&P Craftsman

Soon, the press will move to it's final location and be wired to run with a motor. Until then, I have fixed up a solution that doesn't include any electricity. This decision was made out of a desire to use the press more than some moral objection to modern convenience. It is quite a workout, and not something I plan on using forever.

Treadle project for C&P Craftsman

All that remains is locking up a print and making some prints.

No comments: