Friday, January 7, 2011

Shop update


For more than 4 years, I've been trying to refurbish and use a 4 color screen press that was in my studio classroom. When I found it, the pneumatic cylinders on the hinges were shot, and it was accompanied by several dozen wooden screens in various states of repair and use. Some students and I re-screened some of the wooden frames, and abandoned hope for others. Replacement parts were purchased for the press, I even built an exposure unit. Unfortunately, these things took years to accomplish. The screen press has always taken a back seat to some other project or event. But now, the time has finally arrived. Prompted by the acquisition of a conveyor dryer, I finally set up a work space for screen printing. The exposure unit works well, with a 10 minute exposure, and we are ready to print shirts or artwork.
Things remaining to be accomplished include wiring the conveyor dryer, replacing a bulb in the flash dryer, and making the vacuum work on the exposure unit. We can print without these, but it will be better with them.

1 comment:

AnniePod said...

Well you must feel pretty good with a light at the end of this tunnel. I am sure your students will have great fun with this equipment and they are very lucky to have a teacher who is willing to go to such lengths. Looking forward to seeing some of the projects produced.