Sunday, August 14, 2011

Volkswagen Mania

I admit, I've been a little Volkswagen crazy this month.
I tend to obsess.

I've been steadily working on linocuts of busses, bugs, convertibles and Karmann Ghias. With 11 of the 12 blocks completed, I'm looking at pulling out the least desirable images, and cutting new blocks to replace them. I may end up with 14 or so images when I'm done.
Volkswagen Beetle

In hindsight, this project was inevitable. You see, I've been in love with VW Beetles since I was 3 or 4. My mother used to participate in a group called Faculty Wives where she hung out some evenings with the wives of other college employees. Really, the name says it all. I never cared much for what the Faculty Wives did, because when my Mom was gone, Dad would get out his Dinky Toys. My sister, my dad and I would play Dinkys for hours. Dad had lots, and they were bigger and different from the Hotwheels I usually played with. Among the most special cars were a pair of hand painted, dark blue VW Beetles, and a red Karmann Ghia. Dad also had a Schuco Piccolo VW bug that was much smaller, and was cast nearly solid. I was in love. Not just with cars, but with playing with my dad.
Some borrowed images.

A few weekends ago, we were at my parents house, and my kids had the opportunity to get down the Dinky Toys box. It was so much fun to watch as my little ones had the same thoughts and excitement that I did. I watched as my son tried to make the longest train of cars possible. I watched as my daughters picked out the prettiest cars. And, I got to see the struggle for who would get the VW beetles. One of the best moments of my life.

2 comments:

John T. Spencer said...

I love it. Seriously, it's beyond cool.

I'm not a car guy by any means, but I love good sculptures and for that reason, I've always loved the bug and the minibus.

Christine Barker said...

I came across this the other day, my daughter is a total hippie n I think this is as close as I can get to giving her a vw bus!

http://www.firebox.com/product/3644/VW-Camper-Van-Tent