Friday, May 4, 2012

Things I'm Afraid to Tell You


After reading a posting on Penelope's Press, I decided to participate in a little sharing experiment. At the end of each school year, I tend to be very introspective, and a little uptight over how the year turned out. This often leads to some frank discoveries. So, here is a little insight into the less obvious part of me.

- I waste a lot of time. Internet, TV/netflix, etc. If I was a little more focused, I  know I could be more productive as an artist and a teacher.
- I often feel un-original. I don't know how to access the inspiration for new ideas.
- I have been teaching 13 years, and still cannot consistently figure out classroom discipline.
- I am a Christian. My goal is to bring glory to God, but often, I only find ways to glorify myself. I am afraid that sharing this will either bring rejection of my work, or judgment because I don't measure up.
- I get distracted from making art by hoarding and repairing equipment related to making art.
- I wish I was as successful as some of the people I went to college with.
- I doubt my abilities to motivate students to create and enjoy artwork.
- I still miss my sister all the time.
- How people speak about cancer influences my opinion of them.
- I don't give in and play with my kids as much as I wish I did.

What are you afraid to tell the world.

2 comments:

Sherrie York said...

Wow, Justin. That's some heady stuff. Thanks for being brave enough to share it.

I have a photo I've been wanting to send you, of your work at the Creede show, but apparently I don't have your email address. It's not a great shot, but I thought it might be fun for you to see. Lemme know how you'd like it to get to you!

Grunt Designer said...

I could almost copy what you shared and use it for myself. I think that people are more alike than we think. Nobody is willing to share the serious stuff. Everyone is fine and it always seems that everyone else has their act together. Sorry about your sister. From your post it seems that you lost her to cancer. I am looking forward to exploring your blog. I was just compelled by what you shared to respond.

http://www.dwcs.blogspot.com/