Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Making Things Fit

Most of the print images at Bound Staff Press are made in standard sizes; 4x6, 5x7, etc. This way many other processes can be streamlined as well. I usually cut paper to 9x11 or 9x12; and frame sizes and packaging also are standardized.

For some time, I have wanted to easily center my print block on the paper while printing on my big letterpress. In an attempt to make this happen, I have cut some specialized lockup furniture that will accommodate my most common print block sizes. Now when I lock up my print, it will be centered in the chase opening. This will allow me to more easily and more quickly center my image on the paper. None of this was a problem when I printed primarily on an etching press. At that time, I could place my paper and block anywhere I wanted. With a floor model letterpress, all of this must be setup and locked in place before printing can begin.

This is what I came up with. It is made of MDF and color coded for easy use. 


1 comment:

C Tanner Jensen said...

You make it look and sound so easy.